Monday, July 6, 2009

Little Kindnesses

Here's a story... 

It's Monday and rainy so the Bike Doctor's pretty slow. Therefore, Claude and I get to take our lunches together, which is always nice... Having a little Claude/Linnaea time is key - always a good time, always hilarious, always comfy... I'm going to miss her terribly when she leaves (don't goooooooo! haha)... 
I packed some super salad from last night's dinner (so good) but Claude didn't have anything so we swung by a little cafe to pick up something for her to eat. A lot of shops were closed today, which was weird, which I feel may be some sort of Vancouver thing/conspiracy but not really the point here so I'll move on... 
We went to a little place called "Slickity Jim's Chat and Chew" and grabbed some food and then it started to rain so we set up shop in an entryway to eat, joking around that after I finished my salad, I could use the container to panhandle/scam money off people walking by. Probably would've been ruined by the fact that I had an Oat Fudge Square in a Starbucks' (sorry Chavez) bag sitting next to me for desert. And that we both are relatively clean looking and don't smell of garbage. 
I stashed my bike behind me so that it would be out of the rain because, well, who likes to ride back to work on a wet seat? Not this girl. Anyway, hear the door open behind us and my bike starts to tilt and make an attempt to crush me. Or so thought the guy opening the door. But, me with my last month and change of bike expertise, manage to snatch up the bike and sweep it around and down to the sidewalk so gracefully that I even impress myself. Ha. 

Okay, so maybe it was just a Catch and Move move. Sigh. 

Sometimes I wish my life were a little more expressive than reality. Or perhaps it is. I am living in Vancouver and getting (mostly) what I want as it comes... whiiiiine. Haha. 

Anyway, back to the entryway, the guy and lunch. He's kind of a grizzly mountain man-looking kind of guy with a jolly demeanour and maybe a little lacking in the hygiene department. He apologizes and jokes around with us, walks down the few steps to the street then turns and offers us fruit from a grocery bag. 
Now, what's your first reaction? Probably some sort of knee-jerk "Oh geez, not on your life. Never in a million years. Forget it. Food from a stranger... produce from a stranger... who's pulling it out with his bare hands. Eep." Well, put that away because you know what we did? Accepted a handful of delicious strawberries and grapes. Which tasted all the more better knowing that they came from a complete stranger who was just offering them out of the goodness of his heart. Because he came up on two cute girls sitting in the alcove of his entryway and decided that he was having a sweet day thanks to yummy fruit and wanted to share the wealth. Because there's nothing like getting a cute girl to smile. Or so I'm told... :p 

Or maybe I'll wake up tomorrow morning with some sort of disease. Or dead. But I doubt it. 

The day was topped off by a Monday Night at Martini's night and a chill hangout with the roomie, Michelle after. All in all an awesome day.

Sweet dreams. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment