Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hipsters.. they're not for everyone...

Funnisms... 

1. The yip dog population... all time high, I would say. More than I've ever seen per capita anywhere. Why bother? What do these dogs do for you? Especially when you are a 6'2" 210 male? What purpose, what function do they serve? All I want to do is punt them. Well... not really. Saw one cool one, I admit. Some sort of terrier, I think. Looked like an Ewok walking on all fours. I will give him style points. 
2. Those stupid throwing arms for tennis balls for when you're in the park with your dog. What? You don't want to stoop over to get the ball? You don't want to get dog slobber on your hands? Go buy a goldfish. Or a yip dog. 
3. Cruiser bikes kind of piss me off. Very hipster, very yuppy. Funny what's called cool these days. I guess when I get on a bike I want to go fast and don't want the theme of the Wicked Witch of the West on a constant loop in my brain... 
4. Rubber boots. Granted, they've been a bit more on the DL lately as it's been B-E-A-utiful out but c'mon... doesn't remind you of mucking out stalls and farms? Not even the little patterns, the little bells and whistles you put on them are going to hide that. Hmm... 

This weekend was Asshat Weekend at the Dr. Just because it's your weekend doesn't mean you are the only person in the store and your problem is the most important one. Yes, we are in peak tune-up season... yes, it will take you til Friday to get your bike back, and yes, that is almost a week from now. Sure, go to Mighty Riders down the street - I hear they keep your bike for a week then give it back without having done anything to it. I guess I just find it hard to relate to someone's problem when there is no way in hell that's something that I would worry about. I mean, seriously... let it go man! It's Sunday afternoon! You can wait five minutes! What else do you have to do?! What else should you be doing?! 
My last 'weekend' was spent with Claude and Chavez riding and Naam(still the best restaurant I've been to so far)ing it up and Kits Beach. We biked up to UBC and down around towards the airport. Didn't manage to stop in at Wreck (the Nuuuuuude) Beach this time but maybe next time. :p We did stop at a lookout and met this old dude who, hilariously enough, knew our ordering guy from work. Chavez tried out Claude's fixy bike then she and I made a bet at how long it would take before he wanted one of his own. Her win - two days. Ha ha. 
Hung out at Kits beach Tuesday aft. Madness, my friends, madness. There were so many people. Very nice that we chose somewhere slightly shady so that I didn't die of heatstroke/sunstroke. 
Went over to Claude's place for dinner and met her roommates - Geoff, who's amazing on a fixey bike but apparently bails a lot... I dunno, I was impressed; Liam, the upstairs neighbour and resident skateboarder who owns a gorgeous cat named Kurt Russell (best name ever for a cat, I know!); and Matt who's moving to Alberta. Yummy dinner of pasta with cooked onion/peppers/olives combo (although Geoff and I both shuffled our olives off on Claude... ha ha) then desert down at La Casa Gelato down of Venables (sp?) St. The place boasts 218 flavours with such fan favourites as Lavender (tastes like soap but Claude loved it), Cotton Candy (turned Geoff's mouth blue), and Dolce Latte (mine - caramel! Ice Milk! Loved it!). 
Headed down to Cambie/Hastings with bellies full of ice cream for the Gold Sprints - messengers and other odds and ends of people from all over the city show up to go head to head on trainer sprinting their brains out. It was amazing to watch but I was too afraid to try. 
So strange though... I mean, living in Kits/False Creek Area is such bubble living, especially at the Loft... we are in pretty much the drug and crime capital of Canada but I feel Becky and I live in a gated community where we're just not exposed to that. I venture down every once in awhile to the seedy underbelly to experience life outside and while I love it, I still have a problem SEEING it, y'know? I dunno. I'm a very spoiled, well taken care of kind of girl. 


Pic du Jour: 


Quote du Jour: 
"We're about to get much much more better." - El Capitano Doesn't-Know-Alot a.k.a. Paul B. at Saturday morning staff meeting. 

Yes, this is me shaking my head. 

Highlights in the coming week - Grouse Grind Tuesday pre-work. We're all going to bonk halfway through the afternoon but it'll be totally worth it. :) Also, David Sedaris! Thursday! Chapters! One of the coolest authors ever! And, Velo City - Bike exhibit at the Vancouver Museum. Oh! And a Lontharit with Claude - reverse Tri... love it. Stay tuned... 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Your darling best bud here. I have taken severe offense to your post (and I'm only part way through).
    Come on, when you've been on your road or TT bike for hours and hours and have a commute to do later in the day, how freaking awesome is a commuter bike with a basket? I want one... in a really girly colour.
    AND rubber boots ARE functional. I don't wear 'em myself, but I covet those who do. SO there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, fair enough... I don't mind a nice beaut Devinci with a back rack, a front rack, four panniers and a massive assed lock connected to it... it's the girls that come in and pick a bike because it looks good but then can't manage to pedal up something like the Paris Street hill by York... or even the hill by your place. Also, you don't want to wear a helmet because you think it looks cool with your oversized Paris Hilton sunglasses, short shorts and flip flops? I'm not even going to merit that with a response... arg.
    Also, I think we had the rubber boot discussion last time you were out here... therefore, I believe the only way to properly discuss would be for you to come out and visit Becs and I. Done and done. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much judging! I biked to school today up a fairly large hill (think Paris st but steeper) in flip flops, oversized sunglasses (too cold for short shorts) and a race helmet. And guess what? I looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On rubbers: (The boots. The BOOTS!) I really can't think of a use for them that doesn't involve mud, dung or both. The fact that others can't, my dear friend, just means that said others have never actually lived/worked/been on a farm!

    And Sorry for taking so long to find your new blogging home, my compy's been restive for a while . . .

    Oh, and my response to the seedy bit? I think you're just a glass half full type of girl. That's probably also why so many people like you ;-).

    Cheers,

    Cote

    ReplyDelete