Sunday, May 9, 2010

Adventures of Tomato Girl


I've been meaning to write in the past week but haven't because it's been a pain in the ass to not have reliable internet. Khaled's since fixed that with his awesome Britishness... okay, maybe with his mad skills but whatever. The Googles are mine! Bwahaha

So, last weekend went climbing with Khaled and Andy up at Squamish. So awesome. I originally went to take some pics but they convinced me to climb in my skater shoes. It went alright except regularly I wear them loose enough to be able to slip in and out of so about a quarter of the way up I almost lost the right one and then halfway up almost lost it again. Ah well. Next time I'll have real climbing shoes.

Khaled kicking some ass up the rock.

Sunday I went riding with Louise, Seb, and Khaled. We rolled out to Richmond thinking that it would be drier out there. It wasn't. We did River Road towards New West and back through Burnaby. By the time I got home, my hands were white and my feet turned funny colours in the shower and itched like fiends.

The "Get a Job" front has been pretty slow... I've dropped some resumes off and had some interviews for serving jobs. I kinda want to get a job with some quick money (Tiiiiiips!). haha
Had an interview Friday with the Museum of Vancouver for their summer program assistant position. I think it went really well but then the interview was pretty chill and the interviewer was really casual so it was pretty easy to get through it.

Went frisbee golfing Friday afternoon with Nick and Jon. I was awful. I don't have the confidence to just huck the driver hard because I'm afraid my skills (or lack thereof) will a) put it through a neighbourhood window, or b) hit a tree three feet away and come back to smash me in the face. Well, okay, not quite that suck but you never know.
That night I went to see Exit Through the Gift Shop with friend of friends, Seb.

Trailer here

It's about one of the most infamous graffiti artist in the world, Banksy, created this film about a dude who became obsessed with the street art culture and became one himself. It was pretty interesting because it felt like he spent all this time with these graffiti artists then, when he decided to become one himself, he used the endorsements of these other infamous artists to sell himself to the public. When he was interviewed, Banksy seemed kinda pissed. I would be... haha

Banksy Art:



Today was Bikes and Beers at the Beach Day. I originally had the idea of doing a long ride today - Horseshoe Bay or Lighthouse Park and then chillaxing out there but Cody proposed the idea of a more relaxed ride in town. So, we met up down by Super Champs and rode up and around Stanley Park to hang out at Third Beach. It's my favourite beach because it takes a lot more to get there than, say, English Bay or Kits Beach.
It was lovely. The sun was out in full force. Even though I had SPF 30 on, and reapplied it over and over, I'm still Tomato Shouldered Linnaea, which sucks. I need to drink more water. :p I was roasted so decided I might take off for the day, maybe come back home and nap. Louise convinced me to go for a jump in the ocean (it was awesome!) and then was nice enough to lend me a long sleeve shirt so I could hang out a bit longer. I'm burnt anyway but ah well.

Tonight was a showing at Grandview Park put on by the R.A.I.N. There's been talks of a redevelopment of Grandview Park by the "Friends of Grandview Park" in order to essentially get the riff raff out.

From their site:

the park is…

1. “Chronically overrun by illegal inhabitants.”

2. Used for “drug dealing and hard drugs.”

3. “The chosen location of illegal protesters.”

4. “The design of the playground encourages loiter¬ing of non-families.”

5. “The unsanctioned use of tennis courts by the bi¬cycle polo club”
means that the “… tennis courts (are) no longer available for parents
to teach their kids how to ride bikes.”


It's a little silly, you have to admit.
Drug dealing and hard drugs? Well, it's kind of a stretch to think that this is the only place that's going to go down. Granted, fair enough that you don't want to deal with that sort of thing if you have kids playing there.
The chosen location of illegal protesters? Have you been to the Art Gallery? Do you hear them whining? Give me a break.
Encouraging loitering of non-families? Oh, I'm sorry. I can't go play on a swingset or sit on a park bench in Grandview because I didn't get knocked up with a kid to bring with me? I have to go visit Rent'a Kid before I can hang out there? There are no words.
And teaching your kid to ride bikes in a tennis court? Are you kidding me? I learned on grass so that when I bailed (and you do...), it didn't give me road rash all up the left side of my body.
It's like these people sat down and pulled out a barrel of excuses and at the end of their meeting all they had was the grimy sludge at the bottom but they still slapped it on paper and trundled down to the Parks Board to complain. Use your energy for better use, kids. Maybe ask for more green space so everyone can enjoy these things. Bike polo players need milieus too.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to go ride Horseshoe Bay. Kind of regretting putting out an official "meet up here at 10 am" though I'm sure everyone will be off brunching with their mothers anyway. :p

Photo du Jour:


Corey's neighbour's cat Blossom. She's cute and cuddly and is known to have fleas. I miss snuggly furry little creatures.

Quote du Jour:

"If the English language made any sense a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur." - Doug Larson

2 comments:

  1. Actually the list of grievances are not from the Friends of Grandview, but from the Defenders of Grandview putting words in their mouths. Most people in the area support a reno because the park is in rough shape. The grass is balding, the playground rotting and actually build of preasure treated wood, a known carcinogen, and there is practically no seating. Also, the bike polo people will actually have their own court in the new park.

    Basically this is just a group of anti-poverty activists who have a bug up their butts over nothing. Anybody who thinks new grass and benches will keep out the "riffraff" is dreaming.

    New park all the way.

    ReplyDelete