Saturday, June 26, 2010

Little Bit of R & R for the Day


So, I'm reading this book called "Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story" by Chuck Klosterman. I fell in love with his writing when I read his book, "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs." Killing Yourself is about one summer where Klosterman travels across the country "exploring every brand of rock-star demise." Some of the musicians I recognized some of them I didn't but man, can this guy write. He's funny, he's dry, he's just great. I'm sure if I met him in real life, I might think he's a total asshole, but then, writers are a different breed all together.

A few highlights I loved,

_ The Theory of the Anger Scheme:
This old man is of the opinion that you can never really know someone until you've seen them positively enraged.
"People never show you what they're truly like until you see them go ape-shit," he says. "That's the only time people say the things they really feel. Anger makes people honest. No matter how reasonable someone might seem, you never know for sure until they get mad."

_ "You show up too early for everything. Don't you understand that when people say a party is starting at 9:00, they actually mean the guests are supposed to come at 10:00? That's just common sense." I will never buy that logic. In America, parties that are supposed to start at 9 pm actually start at 10. However, rock concerts that are supposed to start at 9 pm actually start at 9:45. Movies that are scheduled for 9 pm don't begin until 9:09. Sporting events set for 9 pm begin at 9:05. However television shows that are set for 9 pm do start at 9 pm, unless they're being broadcast on TBS. So what's crazier: That I show up for things when they're supposed to begin, or that everyone else in the entire world has somehow come to accept that every activity operates within its own unspoken, individual schedule? How is everyone else's wrongness understood to be right?
If Quincy is avoiding me on purpose, I will spend a lot of time staring at my hands.

_ When you are male and entering the 10th grade, there are only four kinds of people on the planet: girls you want to fuck, girls who are unfuckable, guys you want to kill, and guys who generally seem okay. For a 10th grader, those are the only four demographics for the entire world population. Obviously, that world-view changes as you become an adult; now that I'm 31, I realize there are at least six categories.

So, yeah... That's my intellectual spiel. :p

On another note, I went sailing yesterday. That was wicked. Moses & co. and I were supposed to go to the beach and just hang out but around 4 I get a phone call from him saying, "How fast can you get down to the docks?"

Pretty fast, friend, pretty fast...

We went out once before in December and it was amazing if I little chilly. This time it was gorgeous and super fun. I'll just have to remember to eat more or bring along snacks next time as I always seem to forget how much they love drinking and how much they love plying their visitors with drinks. :p We were entertained by Derek, the boat's owner, his brother, and their friend Sharky, who didn't seem to stop either talking or drinking and had a playful demeanour.

Moses looking all pro and captain-y.


Such a pretty day. :)

All in all, it was a good day. Rest of the pics can be seen on my flickr.

Quote du jour: "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment